Friday 9 November 2007

I am not looking for superheroes



This year we celebrate the author Astrid Lindgren. She should have celebrated her 100th birthday on the 14th of November. Most Swedes are brought up listening to all of her books and consider her one of the most prominent among us. Some even think she ought to have received the Nobel price for literature. I have a friend who met her 10 years ago and I remember that he was surprised that the old woman was so witty. She was very funny and didn´t answer questions like one think an old lady should. She was more like a little girl. It seemed as if Pippi were somewere there inside this amazing lady. And that was probably so. I remember her voice as the ultimate voice of storytelling. Have heard it many times on tapes and tv-shows. Yesterday my little son of 4 years was sitting in the back of the car and said: “Mother do you know who Astrid Lindgren was?” I thought he asked me a question and I didn´t got the time to answer until he did it himself. “She wrote many books; Emil. Pippi, Karlsson, she lived in vimmerby etc.” He was talking about her like an adult about to another adult and I got really impressed. He told me that they had been talking about this grand old lady all week at the day care...

We always have a political discussion going on here at home. One of us is more left wing and one is more right wing. This often causes irritated discussions at the dinner table. But only on a fun level, we had the irritated discussions in the beginning of our relationships and noone wants to go there any longer. These past weeks there has been a lot of headlines in the evening papers about many ministers and aides in the Swedish government that are buying cleaning help, rebuilding their summer house without paying Swedish VAT. I guess you all know that we have pretty high taxes if you compare it to other countries. This makes it pretty expensive to do things and to live here. Whatever you need you have to pay tax on tax on tax etc. Swedish people seem to agree on buying some things under the table as long as you´re not a politican. From my point of view I´m not looking for any superheroes but if they think I am stupid I´m starting to get pissed. I think this is an important issue cause they set the standards for all and everyone of us. The strange thing when I look at the active famous politicians is that it seems to be women who has to leave their office every now and then. The media are double checking them all the time. If they bought a candy bar with wrong credit card that can be devastating. Is it that women admit more or is it because women make more faults?! You tell me. I’m just thinking that I’m beginning to see a pattern here.

By the way I got complaints the other day that the photo of the happy older woman was ugly and did not match with me?! It was my mother who doesn´t know anything at all about websites and computers. Suddenly from nowhere she told me that I couldn´t have that photo on the first side. I told her that I rather would like a photo of her and it sounded like she allowed me to take one of her, one of these days (usually she hides everytime I try to photograph her). Since she didn´t say no I took the chance and updated the website with a small photo of her with the sunglasses by the newsletter link (she is also above this text). Just in case you wonder who that is.

I also changed the big photo to my former little lion Leo. I use to have a budgie named Theo and my sons name is Neo... A pattern here aswell?! I tend to like eo in all variants.

Now I am waiting for the snow to arrive!
Have a nice weekend!
Anna

No comments:

They impress me

  • Caroline Krook
  • Kofi Atta Annan
  • My Postman on bike
  • Ola Salo
  • Rania Al-Abdullah Queen of Jordan

A heart in the sky

A heart in the sky
It isn´t every day you see this in the sky.

Blog Archive

About me

My photo
Borås, Västra Götaland, Sweden
Female, pretty ordinary if you ask me. Other people might say I am a bit odd like when I decided to go to Bosnia with weapon and uniform in a peace keeping unit for the UN few years ago. I wanted to be a part of something real with a good purpose. Some people say I lack humour. My friends always have to tell me when it is a joke otherwise I take everything seriously. I should be in the ironic generation, but I don't feel at home there.